From Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia.
| When Pokémon Worlds Collide!
Rival Battle! Three vs. Three!!
|| September 28, 2006
| United States
|| April 20, 2007
|| Team Iguchi
|| 冨岡淳広 Atsuhiro Tomioka
|| 秦義人 Yoshito Hata
| Assistant director
|| 秦義人 Yoshito Hata
| Animation director
|| 船津弘美 Hiromi Funatsu
When Pokémon Worlds Collide! (Japanese: ライバルバトル！三対三!! Rival Battle! Three vs. Three!!) is the third episode of Diamond & Pearl. It is scheduled to air Japan on September 28, 2006.
Ash searches for Pikachu, whom he has been separated from. While searching for his Pikachu, he is challenged to a Pokémon battle by Paul.
Ash and Brock run through the forest looking for Pikachu, following Ash's Starly. Dawn is also in another part of the forest following Piplup and Pikachu. Ash and Brock stop as they hear a noise up ahead. They are shocked when a Thunderbolt rips through the forest. Down in that area, a young boy trainer throws a Poké Ball and captures a Starly. Ash approaches him, hoping to see Pikachu but it is the kid's Elekid. Brock is impressed by Elekid's Thunderbolt and congratulates the kid, Paul, on his new Starly. But Paul tosses some Poké Balls and releases three Starly. After scanning them in his Pokédex, he tosses their Poké Balls into the sky, releasing two of them. He reveals he only keeps the strongest Pokémon for himself. Ash is angry at this, saying Pokémon require care to grow strong. Paul turns to walk away but stops when a Thunderbolt launches behind them.
Team Rocket have an huge, multi-armed Elekid-shaped machine. They advance on Dawn, demanding Pikachu. Piplup is no match for the machine and is knocked out. The robot's hands reach down and are about to grab Piplup when Ash's Aipom bursts through the trees and attacks with Swift. Pikachu and Dawn are shocked to see Ash. Ash realizes Team Rocket are in the machine. They step out onto a platform in front of it and say their motto. Ash climbs a tree and jumps onto the machine's arm, climbing up to Pikachu. Dawn is stunned at the lengths he will go to for Pikachu. Ash tries to force the hand open and the machine begins to malfunction. It explodes as Team Rocket go blasting off.
Emerging from the rubble, Ash, Pikachu, Aipom and Starly reunite. Ash greets himself to Dawn and scans her Piplup with his Pokédex. Exhausted, Piplup collapses. Brock takes it in his arms, gives it some Potion and it feels better instantly. At the Pokémon Center, the gang make a call to Professor Rowan. He reveals that he has a parcel at the lab from Ash's mom. In the forest, Paul and his Elekid examine Team Rocket's broken robot. Ash is tougher than he thought...
Walking down a road together, Ash, Dawn and Brock are approached by Officer Jenny who is glad Ash found his Pikachu. At the lab, Ash opens his parcel, surprised to find new clothes, hat, trainers and backpack. After putting it on, he calls his mom, telling her he is OK. He also calls Professor Oak, who chats with Rowan. In the living room, Dawn asks Ash if she could come along with them. Ash agrees, they return their Pokémon and leave the lab. But waiting outside for them is Paul. He tells Ash that they will battle.
As the two face off, Brock referees, saying it will be a 3-on-3 Pokémon battle. Both trainers release their Starly. Paul's Starly uses Quick Attack. Ash tries to counter with a Wing Attack, but Paul's Starly uses Double Team and Aerial Ace combined and Ash's Starly is knocked out. Ash recalls Starly, as does Paul.
Ash throws a Poké Ball and his Aipom emerges. Paul throws out his Chimchar, which Ash scans with his Pokédex. Aipom launches a Swift attack, but Chimchar counter with Ember, and the two attacks explode on contact. Aipom prepares to use Focus Punch, but Chimchar uses Flame Wheel, stopping the attack, as Rowan explains. Aipom uses Double Team, but an Ember destroys all the clones, and the real Aipom is slashed by Chimchar's claws. Ash orders another Focus Punch, as Paul prepares to intercept it, but Aipom jumps into the air, dodging the Flame Wheel. Aipom smashes down into Chimchar, knocking the fire monkey out. The trainers recall their Pokémon.
The trainers send out the electric Pokémon, Pikachu and Elekid. Pikachu uses Thunderbolt, but the attack is merely absorbed by Elekid. Elekid revolves its arms and launches an electric attack at Pikachu, who also shakes it off without too much damage.
- Ash and Brock encounter Paul.
- Paul captures three Starly, and releases two, keeping the one that has learned Aerial Ace at first, but releasing it at the end of the episode.
- Ash and Brock find Dawn and Pikachu in a middle of a Team Rocket battle.
- Team Rocket change to a new motto.
- Ash changes to his Diamond & Pearl series outfit.
- Paul challenges Ash to a 3-on-3 battle.
- Meowth says that they have been chasing Pokémon for as long as Dawn has been alive. The anime series has been airing for almost 10 years, so this is technically correct, though the flow of time within the show is disputed. If true then this would make Ash 20, although it is possible that only Team Rocket realizes this due to their occasional breaking of the fourth wall.
- This originally aired as a two hour special on September 28, 2006, together with DP001 and DP002.
- Paul's Pokédex is dark blue.
- Music from Jirachi: Wish Maker and Lucario and the Mystery of Mew are used as background music.
- The eyecatches featured Ash (in his Advanced Generation clothes), Dawn and Brock.
- The ending credits consisted of DP001, DP002 and DP003.
- There was no Professor Oak's lecture for this episode.
- Team Rocket Mecha: Super Sinnoh Slinger Mark 1A. It can withstand and deflect any attack, is solar powered and makes lunch.
* In other languages
- Italian: Alla ricerca di Pikachu & Un avversario alquanto insolito