From Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia.
|| This article is incomplete.|
Please feel free to edit this article to add missing information and complete it.
Colress (Japanese: アクロマ Achroma) is a Pokémon researcher who researches Pokémon strength and a high-ranking member of Team Plasma. His goal is to discover the true way to draw out the strength of Pokémon.
In the games
Colress is first met in Castelia City, where he tells the player about how he disagrees with the old Team Plasma and their goals to liberate Pokémon from human beings. The player soon encounters Colress again on Route 4, where several Crustle block the path. Colress uses his machine to drive the Crustle away and challenges the player to a battle. Colress is once again seen as a participant in the Pokémon World Tournament, and is matched against the player in the final round. Throughout most of the game, he can be met and will talk to the player mostly about Team Plasma.
Later on, during the battle against the new Team Plasma on the Plasma Frigate, Colress is seen in a chamber, where he reveals that he became a member of Team Plasma in order to pursue and research the true strength of Pokémon. Colress then challenges the player to a battle. Once he is defeated, he will allow access to Ghetsis's chamber, saying that he wants to see if the player can put a stop to his plans.
After the player enters the Hall of Fame, Colress is still dwelling within the Plasma Frigate; however, he and the other Team Plasma members have decided to put an end to their ambitions. Colress will battle the player once per day. The first time he is battled this way, he will give the player a Master Ball.
- "You there! That was an excellent demonstration of battling. The way you brought out the power of your Pokémon against an opponent like Team Plasma… Astounding. Simply astounding. Interesting as well. I see…"
Castelia City's Central Plaza
- "Oh, it's you again! If it's not an inconvenience, may I have a look at your Pokémon?"
- Yes: "I appreciate your cooperation!"
- No: "Are you sure? But this is for science."
- "Oh! How interesting! Your <Pokémon> seems to display more self-confidence than others of the same species. And you're a Trainer with merely three Badges… Fantastic! I'm not sure how you're doing it, but you're bringing out the power of your Pokémon!"
- "Oh, excuse me! I am a scientist. My name is Colress. The theme of my research is: "Bringing out the power of Pokémon." Bringing out the power of Pokémon! Is it possible to bring out their maximum power through the bond they share with their Trainers? Or is there some other, different method? I'd like to test my theory by battling with you. Do you find this acceptable?" (regardless of answer) "Either way, I'll be waiting on Route 4. It's just beyond here!"
- "I've been waiting for you! What's the matter? Interested in what's behind me? These are not mere rocks, but the Pokémon known as Crustle. Observe. With this device I created to energize Pokémon, I'll…"
- "Those Crustle… Were they just lying here, out of energy, with their boulders on their backs?"
- "Team Plasma said we should recognize the potential in Pokémon and liberate them from humans. I disagree. Conversely, it should be humans who bring out the hidden potential in Pokémon!"
- "Now that I think of it, I never asked your name. <Player>… I'll remember that name. Well then, I will test you to see if you're a Trainer who can bring out the hidden potential of Pokémon!"
- "Splendid! You are quite the Trainer!"
- "I see! Just like the Gym Leaders in each area or the Elite Four and Champion in the Pokémon League, you bring out the power in Pokémon by being kind to them! That's the kind of person you are. I'm extremely grateful for your help. This is a token of my gratitude."
- "It's so frustrating! If only we could talk to Pokémon in order to bring out their power! But there's no way a person like that could ever exist! Well then, <player>, I hope to see you again sometime."
Pokémon World Tournament
- "As a researcher, it is the truth and the ideal way things should be that I seek. The latent power of Pokémon… What is the best way to bring it out? If possible, I want it to be the trust between Trainers and their Pokémon, just as it has always been. I look forward to you teaching me that this is indeed true!"
- "Well done! I learned much from this battle!"
- "Just as I expected! Your Pokémon must be happy to be by your side! You bring out the best in their power!"
- "Stop. There's no reason for you to stick your necks into something so dangerous!"
- "I don't understand. That's not courage, it's recklessness! Does he think anything is possible simply because he has Pokémon with him? No, no… That's not possible. All Trainers and Pokémon are bound to one another by Poké Balls… Then maybe it is this bond that will allow Trainers to overcome the impossible if they trust their partner Pokémon."
- "Trust... It's too much of an unknown factor. But if believing in your Pokémon gives you the courage to stand up to Team Plasma... And the courage to help your friends... Then follow them south to the dock!"
- "Welcome! I was asked by an acquaintance to help with his research. What I desire is to bring out the entirety in Pokémon potential! If I can accomplish that, I don't care what it takes!" (walks a few steps forward) "If it means the strength must be brought out by the interactions between Pokémon and Trainers, then so be it! If it means you have to use a merciless approach, like Team Plasma's, and force out all of the Pokémon's power, then so be it! And yes, if the entire world is destroyed as a result, then so be it..." (steps forward off the stairs) "That aside! The reason I have been traveling all over Unova and battling many Pokémon Trainers is because I was testing the viability of this approach to bringing out the full strength of Pokémon. In that respect, you've done an amazing job. Well now! Tell me if you have the answer I desire or not! If you're ready, come at me!"
- "It looks like you're ready, then! OK! Let us begin!"
- "Come on! More! Bring out your Pokémon's power!"
- Upon sending out last Pokémon
- "I'm more psyched than I've ever been! I can still go on!"
- "So this is what it means to draw forth the power hidden in your Pokémon!"
- "So strong! You're a very strong Trainer indeed! So let me ask you this! Are you thinking of reaching even higher heights by understanding each other as Pokémon and Trainer?"
- Yes: "I see... To me, that is an ideal answer. To think! That's what you actually believe! You bring out the power of your Pokémon with respect and love!"
- No: "I see... Is that answer my truth? Even if that's your answer, don't give up! The reason you're so strong is that you treat your Pokémon with respect and love!"
- (steps backward) "Excuse me for repeating myself, but if it will make Pokémon stronger, I don't care what it takes! If interacting with Pokémon can increase their powers only to a certain point, then their full strength must be brought out using a scientific approach. Even one without a conscience." (turns back to you) "But you have shown me the potential of your approach. To me, whether Team Plasma wins or whether you win will decide how the relationship between people and Pokémon should be! So where will this be settled? Step on the warp panel on the other side of the room where Kyurem is being held. Good luck in your battle!"
- Colress does not have an introduction and VS sprite the first two times he is fought. The third time, he has the Team Plasma template used by N and Ghetsis, and in the post-Champion rematches, he uses the basic template used for battles against Gym Leaders, rivals, and Benga.
- Colress's unique battle background music is not used in the first two battles against him; it is first heard when he is fought on the Plasma Frigate, and is kept for rematches.
- Colress's Pokémon are all genderless except for the Elgyem family.
|| アクロマ Achroma
|| From achromatic.
|| From colorless.
|| From ni (neither) and couleur (color).
|| Similar to Japanese name.
|| Similar to Japanese name.
|| Similar to Japanese name.
|| 아크로마 Achroma
|| Same as Japanese name.