Artwork from Black and White
|Relatives||Chili, Cress (brothers)|
|Trainer class|| Gym LeaderBW|
|Games|| Black and White|
Black 2 and White 2
|Leader of||Striaton Gym|
|Specializes in||Grass types|
|Anime debut||Triple Leaders, Team Threats!|
|English voice actor||Jason Griffith|
|Japanese voice actor||Mamoru Miyano|
Cilan (Japanese: デント Dent) is one of the three Gym Leaders of Striaton City's Gym, known officially as the Striaton Gym. He specializes in Grass-type Pokémon and will battle the player if they chose Oshawott as their starter Pokémon. He gives the Trio Badge to Trainers who defeat him.
- 1 In the games
- 1.1 Pokémon
- 1.2 Quotes
- 1.3 National Gymquirer
- 1.4 Sprites
- 2 In the anime
- 3 In the manga
- 4 In the TCG
- 5 Trivia
- 6 Names
In the games
Cilan appears in Pokémon Black and White as the Gym Leader of Striaton City's Gym, alongside Chili and Cress. This Gym is the first to be challenged by the player. Cilan battles the player if Oshawott is the chosen starter Pokémon. Trainers who defeat Cilan will receive the Trio Badge, along with TM83 (Work Up).
Cilan can either be partnered with the player, or be one of his or her opponents.
Unova Leaders Tournament
Type Expert/World Leaders Tournament
Outside of the Gym
- "Yes? Yes, I am a Gym Leader of this town. You are...? Right. You want to challenge the Gym. In that case... What was the first Pokémon you chose? <Starter>... I see. It's weak against <type>-type Pokémon. I think you need to prepare to face that type. I'll be waiting for you inside."
- Before battle
- Cilan: "Welcome to the Striaton City Pokémon Gym."
- Chili: "I'm Chili! I light things up with Fire-type Pokémon!"
- Cress: "I'm a Water-type specialist, and my name is Cress. Pleased to make your acquaintance."
- Cilan: "And my name is Cilan. I like Grass-type Pokémon."
- Cilan: "Um, you see... As for why the three of us, um, are all here is, well, er..."
- Chili: "Oh,enough! Listen up! The three of us will decide whom you'll battle! It'll be based on the type of the first Pokémon you chose!"
- Cress: "That is indeed the case. And the partner you first chose was <type> type, it seems."
- "...Uh hm. I always seem to lose the timing of... of the dance. Like that. True enough, I did want to... want to have a Pokémon battle with you."
- "Nothing personal... No hard feelings... Me and my Grass-type Pokémon will...um... We're gonna battle come what may."
- Before battle
- "So, um, if you're OK with me, I'll, um, put everything I've got into being, er, you know, your opponent."
- During battle (the first non-KO HP loss)
- "Ah! My Pokémon!"
- After sending his last Pokémon
- "Huh? Could it be? Could I have only one Pokémon left?"
- When defeated
- "Er... Is it over now?"
- After being defeated
- "...What a surprise You...are very strong. Seems like not even Chili or Cress could beat you.."
- After the battle (regardless of starter Pokémon)
- "Gym Badges are a proof of a Trainer's abilities. If you have one Badge, Pokémon, including traded Pokémon up to Lv. 20, will obey you without question. We also want you to have this. TM83 contains Work Up. If you use Work Up, the Pokémon's Attack and Sp. Atk go up! By the way, TMs can be used as many times as you want."
- "In the Unova region, we are still novice Gym Leaders. Which means the other Gym Leaders are much stronger than we are. We'll need to work hard and improve."
- "In the Unova region, um, we are still novice Gym Leaders. Which means, well, that other Gym Leaders are much stronger than we are. Going...slow...and steady...is OK, so... we compete with one and get, um, stronger and stronger."
- The fundamentals of Pokémon battling are type matchups! They're important!
Memory Link - A Triple Team
- Striation Restaurant - Present
- (to player) "Welcome to Striation Restaurant! This place used to be a Pokémon Gym, but a lot has happened..."
- (After speaking to the other brothers) "Well, why don't I tell you what happened..."
- Striation Trainers' School - Flashback
- "Chili, are you listening to me? We have to study hard and become full-fledged Gym Leaders as soon as possible..."
- "You think so? But it isn't that big of a deal. We may not have made it in time, but Team Plasma is still gone."
- "Come on, you two... Don't you think it's a bit strange to get recognition and respect as Gym Leaders just for beating bad guys?"
- "I mean... They were overwhelmingly strong."
- (to Cress) "You're right. Chili. Cress. I think as long as the three of us act like the Gym Leaders we are now, nothing will ever change.'"
- "All right. Let's resign as Gym Leaders and start our training over from the ground up. Then, I'm sure one of us will become a Trainer everyone recognizes as great."
- End of flashback (if initiated by Cilan)
- "Because of that day, we can truly aim for the top!"
- Jingle: "Woo hoo! All right! It's 'The National Gymquirer'!"
- Page: "That's right! We collect the hottest gossip about Gym Leaders seen around town! Here is today's letter. From someone going by the name Cafélover! Thank yooou! 'Recently, I saw Striaton Gym's three Gym Leaders, and they were all out of order! Like, Chili was Cilan, and Cilan was Cress!' Hmmm. Well, I'm not saying you're crazy, but...are you sure they weren't just standing in front of a mirror? 'The National Gymquirer'! We eagerly await your letters!"
| Cilan's sprite from
| Cilan's sprite
from Black 2
and White 2
| Cilan's back sprite
from Black 2
and White 2
| Cilan's VS sprite from
Black and White
| Cilan's overworld |
In the anime
- Main article: Cilan (anime)
Cilan appears in the anime as one of Ash Ketchum's traveling partners. He was one of the Gym Leaders of the Striaton Gym, as well as a Pokémon Connoisseur, but he decided to travel with Ash and Iris so that he could experience different people, places, and Pokémon to increase his skill as a Connoisseur, instead of being confined to Striaton City. He navigates the group to their various locations, as well as cooks the meals.
In the manga
In the Pocket Monsters BW manga
In the Pocket Monsters BW manga, Cilan appears along with his brothers Chili and Cress. They are seen in Battle at the Handsome Restaurant!?, where Red and his Pokémon visit a restaurant owned by the three brothers. Clefairy tries to instigate a fight between the brothers, but fails on many occasions.
This listing is for Cilan's Pokémon in the Pocket Monsters BW manga.
Pansage is the only known Pokémon of Cilan's. It was sent out while he, Chili and Cress were battling Red's Clefairy. Unfortunately, Clefairy takes the attacks the elemental monkeys were using and makes himself some green tea.
|Debut||Battle at the Handsome Restaurant!?|
In the Pokémon Adventures manga
Cilan, along with brothers Chili and Cress, are the triplet Gym Leaders of the Striaton Gym. Although they each got their Gym Leader job individually, they were assigned to one Gym. It is later revealed that they were given the shared job to help teach newer Trainers about type advantages. Due to the type they each specialize in, it was the perfect job for them.
Cilan and his brothers are first seen in Black's imagination as he sets out on his journey to beat the Pokémon League. Cilan later appears in person at the Striaton Gym with his brothers. With the help of his Pansage, Cilan serves tea to Black to signal the start of their Gym battle against the challenger. Although only Black challenged the Gym, the brothers allow his friends, Cheren and Bianca to challenge it as well. After Black, Cheren, and Bianca clear the Gym challenge, they face the Striaton triplets in a battle.
Due to the type advantage their Pokémon have over their opponents, Cilan and his brothers prove to be powerful Trainers. Despite the clear advantage they had over their opponents, Cilan and his brothers are defeated when Black has his Tep use Pansage's fallen leaves to revive his teammates, allowing them to win the battle 3 to 2. Having lost the battle, Cilan presents the challengers with the Trio Badge. Sometime later, Cilan and his brothers prepare to head out to an unknown location.
The brothers later confront the Shadow Triad near the P2 Laboratory. They reveal that even though they weren't at Nacrene City during the Dark Stone incident, they were assigned to follow their enemies if the other Gym Leaders were defeated. The Shadow Triad prove to be very powerful foes, and even after evolving their Pokémon, Cilan and his brothers still weren't strong enough to defeat them. Suddenly, the Gym Leaders are saved by Keldeo, who had been watching the battle with its mentors.
Believing that the Striaton Gym Leaders to be the better humans, Keldeo attacks the Shadow Triad. Before it can continue, the Shadow Triad attack Keldeo and trap it. Keldeo's mentors, Cobalion, Virizion, and Terrakion jump down to save it by attacking the Shadow Triad along with Cilan, Cress and Chili. Although heavily injured, the brothers all agree that they need to become stronger and decide to close their Gym.
This listing is for Cilan's Pokémon in the Pokémon Adventures manga.
Simisage is Cilan's only known Pokémon which first appeared as a Pansage. Along with being his main Pokémon, Simisage assists Cilan and his brothers in the kitchen by mixing herbs for tea. It, as a Pansage, was used in the battle against Black, Cheren, and Bianca and defeats Bianca's Oshawott by shattering its scalchop and smashing it into a wall. Despite being powerful, Pansage was defeated when Tep uses its previously dropped leaves to revive itself, Oshawott, and Snivy, which allowed them to win the battle.
Later, it was used to battle the Shadow Triad in a Triple Battle. Although the battle was tough, Pansage was given a Leaf Stone, enabling it to evolve into a Simisage to become stronger.
In the TCG
This listing is of cards mentioning or featuring Cilan or his Pokémon in the Pokémon Trading Card Game.
| Related cards|
Cards listed with a blue background are only legal to use in the current Expanded format.
Cards listed with a silver background are legal to use in both the current Standard and Expanded formats.
|Cilan||Su||Next Destinies||86/99||Hail Blizzard||050/052|
|BW-P Promotional cards||128/BW-P|
- His Japanese Leader title, shared with Chili and Cress, is トライアル トライアングル.
- Cilan is the only male Gym Leader to specialize in Grass-type Pokémon.
|Japanese||デント Dent||From dent corn, similar to Pod and Corn's names. May also refer to trident. Also from 田 den, "field".|
|French||Rachid||From racine (root), arachide (peanut) or possibly rachis.|
|German||Benny||From Maiskolben (corncob). Related to his brother's name, Maik (Chili) and Colin (Cress).|
|Italian||Spighetto||From spiga, ear of corn, and spaghetti.|
|From millo, maize.|
|Korean||덴트 Dent||Transliteration of his Japanese name.|
|Chinese (Mandarin)||天桐 Tiāntóng||Rough transcription of his Japanese name. 桐 is also a name for several unrelated species of trees, such as Paulownia (泡桐), tung tree (油桐), and Chinese parasol tree (梧桐).|
|Gym Leaders of the Unova region|
|Non-player characters in the core series games|
|This game character article is part of Project CharacterDex, a Bulbapedia project that aims to write comprehensive articles on each character found in the Pokémon games.|