Artwork from Black and White
|Relatives||Cilan, Cress (brothers)|
|Trainer class|| Gym LeaderBW|
|Games||Black and White, Black 2 and White 2|
|Leader of||Striaton Gym|
|Specializes in||Fire types|
|Anime debut||Triple Leaders, Team Threats!|
|English voice actor||Lucien Dodge|
|Japanese voice actor||Masakazu Morita|
Chili (Japanese: ポッド Pod) is one of the three Gym Leaders of Striaton City's Gym, known officially as the Striaton Gym. He specializes in Fire-type Pokémon. He gives the Trio Badge to Trainers that chose Snivy as their starter Pokémon, if they defeat him.
- 1 In the games
- 1.1 Pokémon
- 1.2 Quotes
- 1.3 National Gymquirer
- 1.4 Sprites
- 2 In the anime
- 3 In the manga
- 4 Trivia
- 5 Names
In the games
Chili appears in Pokémon Black and White as one of the Gym Leaders of the Striaton City Gym, alongside Cilan and Cress. This Gym is the first to be challenged by the player. Chili battles the player if Snivy is the chosen starter Pokémon. Trainers who defeat Chili will receive the Trio Badge, along with TM83 (Work Up).
Chili can either be partnered with the player, or be one of his or her opponents.
- Before battle
- Cilan: "Welcome to the Striaton City Pokémon Gym."
- Chili: "I'm Chili! I light things up with Fire-type Pokémon!"
- Cress: "I'm a Water-type specialist, and my name is Cress. Pleased to make your acquaintance."
- Cilan: "And my name is Cilan. I like Grass-type Pokémon."
- Cilan: "Um, you see... As for why the three of us, um, are all here is, well, er..."
- Chili: "Oh,enough! Listen up! The three of us will decide whom you'll battle! It'll be based on the type of the first Pokémon you chose!"
- Cress: "That is indeed the case. And the partner you first chose was <type> type, it seems."
- "Aww, man! I was all fired up, too!"
- "Ta-da! The Fire-type scorcher Chili--that's me--will be your opponent!"
- Before battle
- "Yeeeeooow! Time to play with FIRE!! I'm the strongest of us brothers!"
- During battle (the first non-KO HP loss)
- "As if that would work on my Pokémon!"
- After sending out last Pokémon
- "It's not over yet! One more left! This is where I give it my all!"
- When defeated
- "You got me. I am... burned... out..."
- After being defeated
- "Whoa ho! You're on fire! Well, it's the Pokémon League's rule. Take this Gym Badge!"
- After the battle (regardless of starter Pokémon)
- "I can't believe TMs can be used over and over! If you wanted, you could use one to teach all your Pokémon the same move!"
- "Oh! It's you! Your fire is more intense than when you got the Trio Badge!"
- The fundamentals of Pokémon battling are type matchups! They're important!
Memory Link - A Triple Team
- Striation Restaurant - Present
- (to player) "Hey! You've got the... Oh yeah... There's no Trio Badge now!"
- (After speaking to the other brothers) "Let us tell you why the Trio Badge no longer exists!"
- Striation Trainers' School - Flashback
- (to Cilan) "About that. If we had gone to N's Castle a year ago, the Seven Sages and the Shadow Triad wouldn't have escaped! Then, nobody would say something like 'Three of you together make...'"
- "Argh! It's because you say things like that. That's why people treat us like a joke! Like it takes all three of us together to make one great Trainer!"
- "I understand what you're saying. But if things go on like this, nothing will ever change. Even if we train, the other Gym Leaders will become that much stronger as well."
- (to the Shadow Triad) "Three on three! The first one to beat them is the strongest among us!"
- (to Cilan) "C'mon! What was that? Come back here and say that again!"
- "I didn't think you would be the first to say that."
- "We're triplets. What we think is the same. So we just have to become as strong as each other, and then we can be Gym Leaders together again!"
- End of flashback (if initiated by Chili)
- "The unobtainable Trio Badge... No! One day we will make the Trio Badge shine again!"
- Before battle (first round)
- "The Fire-type scorcher, Chili. That's me. I will be your opponent!"
- Before battle (second round)
- "Yeeeeooow! Time to play with FIRE!! I'm the strongest of the brothers!"
- Before battle (final round)
- "The final round of the tournament... Gets you fired up, doesn't it? Get ready for the Fire-type scorcher, Chili. That's me. I will be your opponent!"
- Being defeated
- "You got me. I am...burned...out..."
- If the player is defeated
- "I'm on fire! Play with me, and you'll get burned!"
- After being defeated
- "Whoa ho! You're on fire! But you have to hand it to me for putting up a good fight, right?"
- After winning
- "Don't worry about it! When you play with fire, you get burned! I mean, c'mon, your opponent was me! You didn't have a chance!"
- In the lobby, after the tournament
- "You scorched everyone, huh? That's amazing! I want to win too and become Chili, the world's best Trainer of Fire-type Pokémon!"
- Jingle: "Woo hoo! All right! It's 'The National Gymquirer'!"
- Page: "That's right! We collect the hottest gossip about Gym Leaders seen around town! Here is today's letter. From someone going by the name Cafélover! Thank yooou! 'Recently, I saw Striaton Gym's three Gym Leaders, and they were all out of order! Like, Chili was Cilan, and Cilan was Cress!' Hmmm. Well, I'm not saying you're crazy, but...are you sure they weren't just standing in front of a mirror? 'The National Gymquirer'! We eagerly await your letters!"
| Chili's sprite from
Black and White
| Chili's sprite from
Black 2 and White 2
| Chili's overworld sprite from
| Chili's back sprite from
Black 2 and White 2
| Chili's VS sprite from|
Black and White
In the anime
Chili appeared in Triple Leaders, Team Threats! alongside his brothers, and fellow Gym Leaders Cilan and Cress. Along with Cress, he made his first appearance when Cilan brought Ash to the Gym. He began offering Ash various items off the lunch menu, who then declined exclaiming he wanted to battle the Gym Leader. Chili and his brothers then introduced themselves as the leaders. They then lead Ash to the battleground where they revealed their Pokémon. Chili was the first to battle Ash, and lost against his Tepig.
He appeared again in Dreams by the Yard Full!, where he and his brothers presented Ash with the Trio Badge and later when he and Cress said their goodbyes to Cilan, who decided to travel with Ash and Iris.
Cilan mentioned in A Rival Battle for Club Champ! that Trip had battled Chili and defeated his Pansear with his Servine, earning himself the Trio Badge. He appeared in a flashback in A Connoisseur's Revenge! where he and Cress informed Burgundy that Cilan had gone on a journey and could not battle her again, so he battled her in Cilan's place and was defeated.
Chili met up with Cilan, Ash, and Iris in A Call for Brotherly Love! where he challenged Cilan to a battle. However, his Pansear was quickly defeated by Cilan's Pansage. Angered, Chili blamed the loss on Pansear, and Pansear ran away. Chili left to relieve his frustration by stuffing his face when Cilan approached him and offered to help, after learning from Cress that Chili's role as Gym Leader has suffered. Chili apologizes to Pansear, and he helps it to try to learn SolarBeam. After successfully learning the move, his Pansear has a battle with Ash and Oshawott and won. Chili thanks his brother for his help, and they go their separate ways.
Chili appeared in a flashback in BW126.
He, like his brothers, tends to speak about Pokémon in relation to their element, in Chili's case, fire. All the brothers tend to use hand positions like rock, paper, and scissors - Chili tends to accentuate words with his fists.
This listing is of Chili's known Pokémon in the anime.
|Debut||Triple Leaders, Team Threats!|
In the manga
In the Pocket Monsters BW manga
In the Pocket Monsters BW manga, Chili appears along with his brothers Cilan and Cress. They are seen in Battle at the Handsome Restaurant!?, where Red and his Pokémon visit a restaurant owned by the three brothers. Clefairy tries to instigate a fight between the brothers, but fails on many occasions.
This listing is for Chili's Pokémon in the Pocket Monsters BW manga.
Pansear is the only known Pokémon of Chili's. It was sent out while he, Cilan and Cress were battling Red's Clefairy. Unfortunately, Clefairy takes the attacks the elemental monkeys were using and makes himself some green tea.
|Debut||Battle at the Handsome Restaurant!?|
In the Pokémon Adventures manga
Chili, along with brothers Cilan and Cress, are the triplet Gym Leaders of the Striaton Gym. Although they each got their Gym Leader job individually, they were assigned to one Gym. It is later revealed that they were given the shared job to help teach newer Trainers about type advantages. Due to the type they each specialize in, it was the perfect job for them.
Chili and his brothers are first seen in Black's imagination as he sets out on his journey to beat the Pokémon League. Chili later appears in person at the Striaton Gym with his brothers. With the help of his Pansear, Chili serves tea to Black to signal the start of their Gym battle against the challenger. Although only Black challenged the Gym, Chili allow his friends, Cheren and Bianca, to challenge it as well. After Black, Cheren, and Bianca clear the Gym challenge, they face the Striaton triplets in a battle.
Due to the type advantage their Pokémon have over their opponents, Chili and his brothers prove to be powerful Trainers. Despite the clear advantage they had over their opponents, Chili is the only one to have his Pokémon defeated in battle. Because of this, when Black's Tep uses Cilan's Pansage's leaves to revive his teammates, the challengers win the battle 3 to 2 when the time runs out. Having lost the battle, Chili presents the challengers with the Trio Badge. Sometime later, Chili and his brothers prepare to head out to an unknown location.
The brothers later confront the Shadow Triad near the P2 Laboratory. They reveal that even though they weren't at Nacrene City during the Dark Stone incident, they were assigned to follow their enemies if the other Gym Leaders were defeated. The Shadow Triad prove to be very powerful foes, and even after evolving their Pokémon, Chili and his brothers still weren't strong enough to defeat them. Suddenly, the Gym Leaders are saved by Keldeo, who had been watching the battle with its mentors.
Believing that the Striaton Gym Leaders to be the better humans, Keldeo attacks the Shadow Triad. Before it can continue, the Shadow Triad attack Keldeo and trap it. Keldeo's mentors, Cobalion, Virizion, and Terrakion jump down to save it by attacking the Shadow Triad along with Chili, Cress, and Cilan. Although they were heavily injured, the brothers manage to stand up again. Afterward, they decide to close their Gym and get stronger.
He, like his brothers, tends to move his arms in a certain position. In Chili's case, they are placed on his hips.
This listing is for Chili's Pokémon in the Pokémon Adventures manga.
Simisear is Chili's only known Pokémon that first appeared as a Pansear. Along with being his main Pokémon, Simisear assists Chili and his brothers in the kitchen by boiling water for tea. It, as a Pansear, was used against Black, Cheren, and Bianca in a Gym battle. Despite proving powerful, Pansear was defeated by a water-soaked scalchop and was the only one to be knocked out. This loss causes the challengers to win with 3 to 2 after the time limit expired.
Later, it was used to battle the Shadow Triad in a Triple Battle. Although the battle was tough, Pansear was given a Fire Stone, enabling it to evolve into a Simisear to become stronger.
- His Japanese Leader title, shared with Cilan and Cress, is トライアル トライアングル.
|Japanese||ポッド Pod||From pod corn, similar to Dent and Corn. May also refer to tripod. Also from ホット hot.|
|English||Chili||From Chili pepper|
|French||Armando||From amande (almond) and ardent (burning).|
|German||Maik||From Maiskolben (corncob). Related to his brother's name, Benny (Cilan) and Colin (Cress).|
|Italian||Chicco||From chicco, grain|
|From Zea mays, the scientific name of maize. Also from ζέω zeo, Greek for "to boil".|
|Korean||팟 Pat||Transliteration of his Japanese name.|
|Chinese (Mandarin)||伯特 Bótè||Transliteration of his Japanese name.|
|Gym Leaders of the Unova region|
|Non-player characters in the core series games|
|This game character article is part of Project CharacterDex, a Bulbapedia project that aims to write comprehensive articles on each character found in the Pokémon games.|