Difference between revisions of "Cedric Juniper"
|Line 215:||Line 215:|
Revision as of 14:28, 9 January 2013
| Cedric Juniper|
アララギ博士 Dr. Araragi
Art by Ken Sugimori from Black and White
|Relatives||Professor Juniper (daughter)|
|Trainer class||Pokémon researcher|
|Games||Black, White, Black 2, and White 2|
|Anime debut||Evolution Exchange Excitement!|
|English voice actor||Stuart Zagnit|
|Japanese voice actor||Ken'yū Horiuchi|
Professor Cedric Juniper (Japanese: アララギ博士 Dr. Araragi) is Professor Juniper's father. He used to be a Pokémon researcher.
In the games
Professor Cedric Juniper first meets the player in Mistralton City with Skyla, who has just flown in from another region. Upon meeting the player he upgrades their Pokédex. He is next seen in Icirrus City, where he gives the player the Old Gateau. He is then seen in Nacrene City with Lenora, Bianca, and some other NPCs. He is not seen again until after the player defeats N and Ghetsis. Once the player has met Looker and gone outside, he approaches the player and upgrades their Pokédex to the National mode. After the player becomes Champion in Black 2 and White 2, he will do the same in his/her house.
- "Oh! Hey! <Player>, right? Let me see your Pokédex for a moment. What do we have here? So, you've found <number> Pokémon, eh? Staggering! You've seen a Klink! You're becoming quite the Trainer. Excuse me! I was a little excited and forgot my manners. My name is Juniper, too! Cedric Juniper. Heh! The professor who gave you the Pokédex is my daughter! That girl has told me a lot about you. It really makes my day to meet you! In honor of our meeting, I'm going to upgrade your Pokédex! Some Pokémon can change forms even when it's the same individual. If you have already seen a form, you can check it with this whenever you want. I also added a function to make searching easier."
- "Oh! I forgot my introductions! Skyla, this is a friend of my daughter's. <Player> is traveling around Unova to complete the Pokédex."
- "That's right, <player>. You should challenge this Gym! If nothing else, this Gym is really out there! See you, Skyla. If something comes up again, I'll let you know!"
- "Aww, Skyla. If you keep frowning, your face might freeze like that, and that'd be a shame. People and Pokémon, we all have to help each other out! See you later!"
- "Hello, <player>! How is <lead Pokémon>? Ah! This <lead Pokémon> has really taken a shine to you. The Pokédex is important, but time spent having fun together is also important. Say, I just had a thought--have you heard of Dragonspiral Tower?"
- Yes: "Really? Quite impressive."
- No: "Eh... I'm not surprised you haven't heard of it."
- "OK. Give this story a listen. Dragonspiral Tower is said to be the Unova region's oldest building. Stories say it's the place where legendary Pokémon came to life or where they remain in deep slumber. I know it's just past Icirrus City, but that's all I know about it. That's all anyone knows, because no one has ever been inside. My daughter has wanted to investigate that tower for a long time. "What! There's something I don't know?!" That kind of feeling is pure adventure. And I'm not too old for some adventuring. Away I go to have a look at Dragonspiral Tower! Catch you later!"
- "That building serenely towering over everything is Dragonspiral Tower. From far in the past, before Unova was founded, it still stands tall today. On the top floor, so it's been told, the legendary Pokémon is waiting for a person seeking the truth to appear."
- After getting the Freeze Badge
- "Oh, <player>! And you must be Bianca. I'm the other Professor Juniper. The Professor Juniper who gave you the Pokédex is my daughter."
- "Is that right? Grand, grand. Actually, we should chat later. <Player>, Bianca, here's the situation. Some members of Team Plasma--quite a large group--broke through the tower wall and went inside. Brycen and that young man--I believe his name is Cheren--the two of them went after Team Plasma, but..."
- "Ha! I guess you would be curious. Well, I'll explain briefly. Dragonspiral Tower has stood tall since long before Unova was founded. On the top floor, the legendary Dragon-type Pokémon waits for a person pursuing idealsB/seeking truthW to appear... That's what it said. Are you going to go after Team Plasma like your friend did? It's admirable of you to join the fight against Team Plasma, but it's risky, too."
- "Why, thank you! That makes me feel much safer! Well, <player>! It's up to you! Climb the tower! This is all I can give you, but it might help you rest! Still... What could Team Plasma be after?"
- "Astounding... I never would have imagined the legendary Dragon-type Pokémon would return now..."
- "Why, if it isn't Alder! It's been a while! Have you been well?"
- "Right... Moreover, the boss of Team Plasma, N, who reawakened ZekromB/ReshiramW, apparently said to look for the other Pokémon, ReshiramB/ZekromW."
- "I see. We'll leave that to you. I'm going to investigate inside the tower. Hopefully, I'll find something."
- "Maybe I should have my daughter look into when this tower was built. If you want someone to investigate the origin of Pokémon, she's the best."
- "Surely... When I investigated Dragonspiral Tower, I found elements that were dated to the same era as this Light StoneB/Dark StoneW!"
- "... So how do we wake the Dragon-type Pokémon from the stone, then?"
- "Hey, <player>. Never forget that you always have Pokémon right by your side."
- "Oh! Well, this is nice timing! I see you're all here! Just a moment ago, I got some National Pokédex data from an acquaintance. Since you're here, let's upgrade your Pokédex with the National Pokédex data. I'm sure you'll be visiting a wider range of places, Naturally, that means you'll be encountering more Pokémon. Let me see your Pokédex for a sec!"
- "There you go, Bianca!"
- "Next up is Cheren!"
- "And last, but not least..."
- "You can now switch your Pokédexes to National Mode Pokédex. Completing the National Pokédex will surely be a big challenge. So, take your time, enjoy yourselves, and meet lots of Pokémon."
- In Juniper's Lab
- "Hey, <player>! So you're here to show me how your Pokédex is coming along, right?"
- No: "Oh, really... If you want me to have a look at your Pokédex, come here again!"
- Yes: "I see! You've caught <number> Pokémon, then..."
In the anime
Cedric Juniper made his anime debut at the end of Evolution Exchange Excitement!, where he stumbled out of Chargestone Cave and fainted out of hunger. In the next episode, his daughter gave him some food to eat and he regained his strength, She also returned his pen which she found lodged in a Klinklang's gears in the previous episode. Professor Juniper tells Ash and his friends that her father studied the origins of legendary Pokémon like Reshiram and Zekrom. He then says that he believed he had discovered the cave where the Black Hero had met Zekrom. He was planning to go back and Ash begged if he and his friends could come along. He agreed leads the way to the ruins.
Cedric has a tendency to get interrupted when he speaks which led to some miscommunication between him and the kids. However, this didn't upset him everytime. For instance, when Ash asked to go with him to the ruins, he responded with: "I never...", which led everyone into saying that he declined the offer. After which he continued his sentence with: "...refuse bright young folks". This later causes problems avoiding the traps inside the ruins. He also enjoys withholding information from the kids so that the experience could be adventurous for them.
When the group came upon the "Golden Dark Stone", in the center of the ruins, Cedric told Ash that it must be kept in place. However the excitement of the situation overcame the professor and he took the stone while the others weren't looking. Because of this they were driven to the deepest part of the ruins by Cofagrigus which was just what he had hoped for. He discovered that it was the bottom of the ruins where the Black hero had communicated with Zekrom. Cedric later found the exit to the cave and put the Golden Dark Stone back in its place. Cofagrigus and Sigilyph were still angry about the Golden Dark Stone being taken and Cofagrigus sent him, Ash, Iris, and Cilan high in the air with Telekinesis before letting them go to plummet to the ground. The professor said if they were able to link their hearts to the Pokémon they would be saved and he was correct. He later discovered that all the paths they took in the ruins came out in the shape of a Zekrom which confirmed that they were indeed the ruins of the Black Hero.
After the group left the ruins, Cedric said that we would stay behind and continue to do his research in the area and the group said their goodbyes to him.
In the manga
Cedric Juniper appears in a flashback of Black, Cheren, and Bianca's childhood. He is seen discussing the creation of a new Pokédex with a reporter. It is his statement that the young people should go out on an adventure to fill the Pokédex with information about Pokémon that inspires Black to try to get his attention so he can set out on a Pokémon journey.
Later, he encounters Iris and tells her about three legendary Pokémon, Cobalion, Virizion, and Terrakion. He encounters Black in person facing the three Pokémon in an attempt to capture them. After they escape with some Pokémon stolen from two Trainers, he explains to Black about how they don't trust humans. With these words, Black manages to track the three down and convince them to return the stolen Pokémon and leave.
Later, he is asked by his daughter to deliver a fixed Pokédex to Bianca. Because she has decided to give up being a Trainer and instead become Professor Juniper's assistant, she has him give the Pokédex to White instead.
Later, when Black and White encounter N beating Alder, Cedric arrives with a Samurott. When Black asks him where it came from, Cedric tells him that he will explain later as they have to use the power of Samurott, Serperior and Emboar to defeat N so he will reveal the location of the captured Gym Leaders.
| Samurott was originally an Oshawott that was intended to be give to starting Trainers by Cedric along with the ones given by his daughter. N liberated the other two Pokémon—one of which ended up with White—while it stayed with Cedric and eventually evolved. It first appeared with Cedric when he came to help Black and White fight against N. He believed that with Black's Emboar, and White's Serperior, they could beat him.
None of Samurott's moves are known.
|Debut||Black & White chapter|
Snivy was one of the three Pokémon that was supposed to be given to new Trainers. However, N came into the lab and liberated the Pokémon. N took the Snivy, while the Tepig ran away. The Snivy eventually evolved, and ended up with White.
Tepig was one of the three Pokémon that was supposed to be given to new Trainers. However, N came into the lab and liberated the Pokémon. Tepig ran away while Oshawott stayed with Cedric and Snivy went to N. Later, the Tepig was found by White and named Gigi.
|Debut||Lights, Camera, Action|
In the Pocket Monsters BW manga
Cedric Juniper has appeared in the Pocket Monsters BW manga.
- Out of the known blood relatives of Pokémon professors, Professor Cedric Juniper is the only one that is older than his professor relative: Brendan and May are younger than Professor Birch, Blue and Daisy are younger than Professor Oak, and Professor Elm's unnamed child is younger than him.
- When Cedric checks the player's Pokédex in Mistralton City during their first meeting, he tells the player the number of Pokémon they've seen in the National Pokédex rather than in just the Unova Pokédex.
|Japanese||アララギ博士 Dr. Araragi||アララギ Araragi, Japanese yew, or wild rocambole (old name).|
|English||Cedric Juniper||From cedar and juniper, both plants in the Cupressaceae family.|
|French||Spruce Keteleeria||From spruce and keteleeria.|
|German||Eberhard Esche||From Esche, Ash.|
|Italian||Gasparago Aralia||From aralia.|
|Spanish||Carrasco Encina||From carrasco and encina, both words for Holm Oak.|
|Korean||주누운 Ju Nu-un||From 주목 (朱木) jumok, Japanese yew.|
|Chinese (Mandarin)||紅豆杉博士 Dr. Hóngdòushān||May be derived from 東北紅豆杉 Dōngběi hóngdòushān (Japanese yew). By itself, 紅豆杉 Hóngdòushān refers to the Chinese yew.|
|This game character article is part of Project CharacterDex, a Bulbapedia project that aims to write comprehensive articles on each character found in the Pokémon games.|