From Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia.
Candice (Japanese: スズナ Suzuna) is the Gym Leader of Snowpoint City's Gym, known officially as the Snowpoint Gym. She hands out the Icicle Badge to Trainers who defeat her. She specializes in Template:Type2 Pokémon.
In the games
Candice uses Template:Type2 Pokémon in her battles. Trainers who defeat her will receive the Icicle Badge, TM72 (Avalanche), and will be able to use Rock Climb outside of battle. Candice teaches that before battling with Pokémon, a person needs to befriend them first. Candice has an interest in fashion and romance as well as Pokémon, and believes a person should put all their focus into whatever they do. She sometimes muses that she acts the opposite of the way people would expect a Ice-type Gym Leader to behave - warm and friendly instead of cold and distant. She also seems to enjoy talking in third person.
She later allows the player entry into the Snowpoint Temple, and, in Platinum, will appear occasionally for rematches at the Battleground.
In Platinum, Maylene mentions in Snowpoint's Pokémon Center that she admires Candice for being studious. She also mentions that Candice wanted to practice against her to learn about the Fighting-type because of it being a weakness of Ice-type Pokémon.
Pokémon Diamond and Pearl
- "You want to challenge Candice? Sure thing! I was waiting for someone tough! But I should tell you, I'm tough because I know how to focus. Pokémon, fashion, romance... It's all about focus! I'll show you just what I mean. Get ready to lose!"
- When sending out last Pokémon
- "I'm going to break the ice and bring out my last-resort Pokémon!"
- "I can sense your will to win, but I promise you I'm not about to lose!"
- "I must say, I've warmed up to you! I might even admire you a little."
- "Wow! you are great! You've earned my respect! I think your focus and will bowled us over totally. Oh, that's right! I'm supposed to give you this!"
- "Do you think I should try to act more like an Ice-type Gym Leader? Like, do you think I should be more cool and distant? That sort of thing I have trouble with."
- "It's OK! You can let that person in. Cynthia sent word to me. You're working on a Pokédex, aren't you? There should be many rare Pokémon in the temple. Enjoy your exploring!"
- "What is it, Maylene? Did you want some Accessories? I'll give you some of my favorites." (to Maylene)
- "Gee, I wouldn't know. That's a tough question. ...Maybe we should ask Gardenia sometime." (to Maylene)
In the anime
Candice made her debut appearance in Classroom Training! where she was revealed to be a teacher in Snowpoint City's Trainers' School. She is also a childhood friend of Zoey and calls her by the nickname, "Zo-Zo" (Japanese: ノゾチ Nozotchi).
Ash battled her in Sliding Into Seventh!, where he defeated her and earned the Icicle Badge. She also appeared in A Pyramiding Rage!. Paul challenged her to a Gym battle in A Pyramiding Rage! where it took place off-screen between the aforementioned episode and Pedal to the Mettle!The winner of the match was Paul as said in the next episode.
She made another appearance in Double-Time Battle Training! where she watches Zoey win the Brussel Town Contest, and her 5th Contest Ribbon. She helps Dawn prepare for the Daybreak Contest with Zoey. In Yes, in Dee Dee It's Dawn! she and Zoey were watching Dawn's performance on TV.
She also made another brief cameo in A Grand Fight for Winning! watching Dawn and Zoey compete in the Sinnoh Grand Festival on television.
Her trademark is using the term "kiai" in regular speech (instead of as a sound effect), such as in the line, "Get your kiai on!"
This listing is of Candice's known Pokémon in the anime:
| Zoey's Glameow
- Main article: Zoey's Glameow
Candice stated that she helped raise Zoey's Glameow when she was younger. Zoey kept it in a shed outside the Snowpoint Trainers' School when her parents would not let her have it. One day Mr. Honcho the Headmaster of the school found out what Zoey was doing, when Candice stepped in making Mr. Honcho eventually give in. Candice and Glameow have been friends ever since.
|| Classroom Training!
In the manga
She first appeared in Route 217 saving Platinum when she fell from her skis after angeringp a ack of Graveler. Eventually, Platinum challenged her to a gym battle, where her Snover double-KO'd with Platinum's Empoleon, and her Froslass took over to fight Platinum's Rapidash. At first, the newly evolved horse Pokémon seemed to take the lead against Froslass' ineffective Ice attacks, but Candice soon realized that Platinum's real objective wasn't to win the gym badge sincerely, but rather to get it over with so she can protect Uxie at Lake Acuity. Upon this realization, she ordered Froslass to attack with a Wake-Up Slap and deal massive damage on the sleeping Rapidash, and then withdrew Froslass before switching out to Abomasnow. Losing motivation, she asked the Sinnoh Pokémon League chairman if she could stop the battle, but ended up continuing anyway. With Rapidash close to fainting, Platinum switched out to her new capture, Lopunny, who was surprisingly able to defeat the massive bulk, but eventually was beaten by Froslass. As Candice gloated over her seeming victory, however, it was discovered that Lopunny used Healing Wish to revitalize Rapidash (fainting in the process), who, with a surprise attack, took out Candice's last Pokémon, winning the battle.
Afterwards, she awarded Platinum the Icicle Badge, and the two traveled together to Lake Acuity with Maylene to protect Uxie, only to be promtply defeated by Jupiter's superior brawn and tactics. She later called Byron and told him to send them someone to train them in so that they can become stronger. After some difficulty with their new trainer, Volkner, Platinum managed to convince him to train them. At the Spear Pillar she, along with Maylene, fought Jupiter a second time, this time defeating her. She along with her fellow Gym Leaders fought Cyrus and managed to break his Red Chain but brought upon themselves the wrath of Cyrus with it and were defeated.
|| Abomasnow ♀
| Abomasnow is one of Candice's main Pokémon. It was first seen when Platinum had bumped into a Graveler while skiing, she took her to the city so she could rest. Afterwards she was used in her Gym Match and was Candice's third Pokémon, against Platinum's newly caught Lopunny. She first successfully hit the bunny Pokémon with an Ice Shard, but it could stand it. Despite being an inexperienced member of her team, Lopunny was swiftly able to avoid the massive Pokémon's Focus Blasts, and to defeat her with a nimble Jump Kick.
|| Vs. Graveler
|| Snover ♀
| Snover was the first Pokémon used by Candice during her Gym Battle against Platinum against her Empoleon, due to her opponent's Steel-type advantage, she was quickly defeated by a powerful Metal Claw, however, before she fainted, she had fired a Seed Bomb, which hit the Penguin Pokémon in the head, defeating her.
|| Vs. Snover
|| Froslass ♀
| Candice's secret weapon in her match against Platinum is Froslass, who to counter her used her Rapidash. With his speed, Rapidash was able to avoid Froslass's Blizzard, but when it was finally hit, rested to be saved for Candice's last Pokémon, only to be hit by a powerful Wake-up Slap, near fainting him. After switching with Abomasnow, and the latter being defeated, she went against Lopunny, and stopped its jumping strategy and defeated it, but just before she could claim victory, she was defeated by Rapidash who had it energy restored by Lopunny's Healing Wish, earning Platinum the battle. After the Gym Battle, she was taken to Lake Acuity where she was defeated by Jupiter.
|| Vs. Froslass
Candice in Diamond and Pearl Adventure!
- Candice used these Pokémon to awaken Regigigas, which Hareta later captured.
In the TCG
This listing is of cards mentioning or featuring Candice or her Pokémon in the Pokémon Trading Card Game.
- Even though Candice lives in the snowy north of Sinnoh, the only protection she seemingly has from the weather is the sweater tied around her waist and her long socks.
- Candice is the only Gym Leader from Sinnoh that Ash did not have a 3 on 3 battle with. Instead, it was 4 on 4.
- In Pokémon Diamond and Pearl, Candice is the only Sinnoh Gym Leader to use two Pokémon within the same evolutionary line on her team (Snover and Abomasnow).
- All of Candice's Diamond and Pearl team are Pokémon that have gender differences. This would also be true for her Platinum team; however, as Froslass is a female-only Pokémon, it cannot have gender differences.
- The highest-leveled Pokémon in Candice's team differs between every battle.
- In Platinum, Candice is the only Gym Leader whose Battleground rematch team contains only Pokémon which are in the Sinnoh Dex.
- Her Battleground team, with the exception of Abomasnow, consists entirely of Generation IV evolutions of Pokémon of previous generations.
- Candice is the only female Gym Leader whose gym design was not changed in Platinum. The snowball positions were changed slightly, however.
- Candice's speaking of herself in the third person is somewhat a mistranslation: in Japanese, a person using their own name in place of "I" indicates femininity, whereas in English it is typically considered illeism.
- Candice is the only female Gym Leader that specializes on Ice-type Pokémon.
- On another note, she's also the youngest.
||One of the Japanese names for turnip. Possibly a reference to 涼しい suzushii ("cool").
||From the Latin "candita", meaning "clarity; whiteness". Contains ice.
||From glace, ice.
||From frieren, get cold.
||Literally means white.
||From invierno, winter.
||Refers to the top of a radish. Related to her Japanese name.
||小菘 Xiǎo Sōng (anime)
鈴菜 Língcài (DPA)
|From 菘 suzuna. An old name for 白菜 báicài (Chinese cabbage, literally "white vegetable").|
From 鈴菜 suzuna.