From Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia.
Burgh (Japanese: アーティ Arti) is the Gym Leader of Castelia City's Gym, known officially as the Castelia Gym. He specializes in Bug-type Pokémon. He gives the Insect Badge to Trainers who defeat him.
In the games
Burgh appears in Pokémon Black and White as the Gym Leader of Castelia City's Gym, the third Gym to be challenged by the player. He is also an artist and apparently started his career in Nacrene City, which he often comes back to when he gets "artist's block." Trainers who defeat Burgh will receive the Insect Badge, along with TM76 (Struggle Bug).
He also reappears at N's Castle where he and the other Unova Gym Leaders hold off the Seven Sages.
In Pokémon Black 2 and White 2, Burgh returns as a Gym Leader.
- "Good day, Lenora. Find any good Fossils lately?"
- "Eh? Just looking for a change of pace. Seems hectic or something around here. What's up?"
- "Uh-huh. You are...<player>, is it? Are you raring to round up our robbers?"
- "This leads to Pinwheel Forest. If they manage to scuttle off into the forest, we might have trouble."
- "Well, you see... There are two ways out of Pinwheel Forest--the road that goes straight and the path that winds through the woods. I will take the straight road after them! If they're not there, I'll block the exit. Would you please take the other way and check whether Team Plasma is hiding in there somewhere? You'll run into a lot of Trainers, but it's basically a single path, so I'm sure you won't get lost. Come on! Let's do this for Lenora's sake!"
- "Mm-hmm? Team Plasma hasn't come in this direction... The forest's bug Pokémon are quiet, too."
- "Oh, sweet! The bug Pokémon were getting all worked up, so here I come, and what do I spy with my little eye? This important looking guy! Are you here to help your friends, whom I defeated?"
- "Hmmm... We got back the stolen skull and if we corner them, there's no telling what they might do. I think I'll be heading back Lenora... Well now. Well... I'll be waiting for your challenge at Castelia City's Pokémon Gym. Yes indeed. I'm certainly looking forward to it!"
- "Ah hah! You're the one who fought Team Plasma in Pinwheel Forest... If I remember, your name is... <player>! Come to challenge the Gym, I suppose? Aww. Sorry, but could you wait a bit? I was informed that Team Plasma has shown up! In fact... Come with me! I'm going to the dock at Prime Pier!"
- "Come on! This way! Team Plasma... They took this young lady's Pokémon"
- "Iris... You did everything you could"
- "Agreed! No fear--we will get that Pokémon back. Right, <player>? Having said that, finding a person or Pokémon here in Castelia City will be like finding a needle in a haystack."
- "<Player>, let's go! Iris! You stay by that young lady's side."
- "That way! M'hm. There, heading toward the Gym?!"
- "This is definitely the place. Looks like our only option is to battle them and go in."
- "Oh please! <Player>, I'll leave that one to you!"
- "Team Plasma is inside. The stolen Pokémon may be there as well. Okay, I'm going in!
- "So, what would you say is the guiding principal of Team Plasma, anyway? "Take what you want from people"?
- "Here in Castelia, we have a lot of different kinds of people. Everyone's ways of thinking and lifestyles are very different. Honestly, there's something about what you're saying I don't quite understand."
- "One thing we all have in common is that we all care a lot about Pokémon. Even meeting for the first time people can talk about Pokémon. Talk or battle or trade... Remember your speech at Accumula Town? You were responsible for leading me to rethink my relationship with Pokémon. For that, I thank you. At that time, I made a promise... I swore to myself that I would dedicate myself to Pokémon even more strongly! What you guys are doing... Aren't you going to strengthen the bond between people and Pokémon even more?"
- "Gah! What do we do if anything's happened to the other stolen Pokémon?"
- "What is everyone planning to do now?"
- "Uh-hm. That's great! Iris is a dazzling Pokémon Trainer, but maybe not at home in the big city yet? So, a little give-and-take, hm! People and Pokémon need help to each other out."
- "Well, then, <player>. I'll be waiting in the Gym."
- "Thanks again for your help. My bug Pokémon are scurrying with excitement about getting to battle you. Let's get straight to it!"
- During battle (the first non-KO hit)
- "Snick! My switch was turned on!"
- After sending out last Pokémon
- "Could it be time to bug out of here? No, no, I refuse to be squashed!"
- "Is it over? Has my muse abandoned me?"
- "Aww... I lost. Whatever! Losing to you doesn't bug me because you are a-MAZ-ingly strong! This is the Gym Badge! You beat me, so it's yours!"
- "It's the Insect Badge! It's insectible--I mean, incredible! If you have three Badges, Pokémon up to Lv. 40 will obey you, including traded Pokémon. Because I'm a generous guy, I'll also give you this."
- "Struggle Bug also lowers the Sp. Atk of the target that was damaged. I'm the best guy to tell you, it's the little things that count!"
- "How many discoveries have you made since you started your adventure? When I was a kid, my innocent heart was captured by the beauty of bug Pokémon. I drew with them and battled with them, and after all this time, I continue to discover new things. A world shared with Pokémon is a world swarming with mysteries."
- "Heya! This is what I do. I keep raising Pokémon and drawing pictures inspired by the Pokémon I raise. It's what I love to do. My life hums with energy. What could be better?"
- "Bianca asked us to come, too."
- "Your Pokémon, they are doing their best for you, right? Why would you want to be separated from them like that?"
- Umm... That's right. You! Use Bug-type Pokémon!
- Jingle: "Woo hoo! All right! It's 'The National Gymquirer'!"
- Page: "That's right! We collect the hottest gossip about Gym Leaders seen around town! Here is today's letter. From someone going by the name Compoundeyes Wrestler! Thank yooou! 'When I went to meet Burgh. It was like he had been licking the honeycomb walls! That guy likes to eat!' Now that is a surprise... But, I wonder if he was just admiring his own face reflected on those walls... That's also weird though... 'The National Gymquirer'! We eagerly await your letters!"
In the anime
Burgh debuted in Sewaddle and Burgh in Pinwheel Forest!. He first appears in Pinwheel Forest when Ash and Iris climb the tallest tree in the forest, and they were surprised to find Burgh in a cocoon-like cloak, hanging from the tree. He introduces himself to the gang and shows them his sketches of the forest. Suddenly a Sewaddle, who has taken a liking to Burgh, jumps up on his shoulder. He tells the trio that the Sewaddle had been accompanying him through the forest, even though it is not his Pokémon.
The next day, Burgh and the kids discover an ill Patrat, and he is able to heal it with some medicine. Suddenly Sewaddle is attached to a Deerling and falls into a raging river along with Ash. Burgh sends out his Leavanny, which uses String Shot to save them. Sewaddle's leaf on its head is damaged, but Leavanny fashions it a new one. Later, Burgh says his goodbyes to the group.
Burgh appears once more in A Venipede Stampede!. He and the group investigate mysterious sounds coming from the sewer system in Castelia City. They discover and injured Venipede that Ash rescues from a pipe. Burgh quickly treats is wounds but wonders why it is in the sewer in the first place when Venipede live in the wasteland outside of the city. When the group returns to the surface, they find that a swarm of Venipede is reeking havoc on the city.
Burgh becomes somewhat angry to find out that the mayor plans to get rid of the Venipede using force and protests the idea. The mayor eventually decides to let him handle it. His idea was to find the leader of the Venipede and have Nurse Joy's Audino use Heal Pulse on it. He, Ash, and Iris eventually locate the leader only to see it be attacked by Trip and his Lampent. Burgh orders him to stop and tells him that he is only making things worse.
Once Nurse Joy's Audino uses Heal Pulse on the leader, Burgh plays his Bug Flute and leads the Venipede out of the City. He sees Ash and his friends off at the end of the episode when they decided to go with Professor Juniper to investigate the Desert Resort.
Ash battled him in Battling For The Love of Bug-Types!. Ash won the battle, earning him the Insect Badge.
Burgh appeared in flashbacks in Climbing the Tower of Success! and Battling the Leaf Thieves!.
This listing is of Burgh's known Pokémon in the anime:
At Castelia Gym
|| Voice actor
|| 古谷徹 Tōru Furuya
|| Billy Bob Thompson
|| Peter Zhelder
|| Manou Lubowski
|| Latin America
|| Daniel Lacy
|| Pablo Tribaldos
In the manga
In the Pokémon Adventures manga
Burgh first appears in Nacrene City where he bumps into Black while he was chasing after the stolen Dragon-type Skeleton. Having come there looking for inspiration to cure his artists block, Burgh joins Black in his search for the Fossil. Together, they find the culprits, Team Plasma, and defeat them in battle to retrieve the Dragon-type Skeleton back for the Nacrene City museum. Having gotten his inspiration back, the two say their goodbyes and Burgh hopes that they will meet again in Castelia City.
Later, in Castelia City, Burgh is seen talking to Iris about his upcoming Gym Battle and becomes disheartened when she criticizes his most recent piece of art as not being as good as his previous ones. Later, he and Black have their Gym Battle at the Castelia Gym with Black emerging as the victor. Iris soon arrives with an unconscious girl named Bianca who had her Pokémon kidnapped. Together, with Black, White, and Iris, Burgh manages to find the kidnappers, Team Plasma, and force them to retreat.
Later, Burgh, along with his fellow Gym Leaders, appears at the Celestial Tower to discuss what to do about Team Plasma. Later, he and the other Gym Leaders battle the Shadow Triad in Nacrene City to protect the Dark Stone from being stolen. Despite their teamwork, Burgh and the other Gym Leaders are defeated by the Shadow Triad's trump card, the Kami trio.
| Dwebble was the third Pokémon that Burgh is seen to own. It was used in the Gym Battle against Black's Brav and easily defeated him. Later, it was switched out when Black sent out his Tula for Leavanny. After Leavanny was defeated, Dwebble faced Black's Tep in battle and was defeated once the Tepig evolved into a Pignite and redirected its attack back at it.
Dwebble's only known move is Smack Down.
|| Big City Battles
| Leavanny was the fourth Pokémon that Burgh is seen to own. It was used in the Gym Battle against Black's where it was seen being switched in to battle Black's Tula and tied with it.
Leavanny's only known move is Leaf Blade.
|| Big City Battles
In the Pokémon Pocket Monsters BW manga
Burgh makes an appearance in Pocket Monsters BW as the third Gym Leader Isamu Akai encounters.
- His Japanese Leader title is モスト インセクト アーティスト.
|| アーティ Arti
|| From artichoke. Also from artist or artisan and art.
|| From Bug. May also be from burg, another word for city, possibly referring to where he lives.
|| From his Japanese name.
|| From his Japanese name.
|| From arte, art.
|| From Camus de Bretagne, an artichoke.
|| 아티 Arty
|| From his Japanese name.
| Chinese (Mandarin)
|| 亞堤 Yǎtí
|| Transliteration of his Japanese name.