From Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia.
Blast Burn (Japanese: ブラストバーン Blast Burn) is a damage-dealing Fire-type move introduced in Generation III.
Blast Burn inflicts damage and then forces the user to recharge during the next turn. Unless this attack misses, the user will always have to recharge.
|| This section is incomplete.|
Please feel free to edit this section to add missing information and complete it.
Reason: Colo and XD description.
|| Powerful, but leaves the user immobile the next turn.
|| The foe is hit with a huge explosion. The user can’t move on the next turn.
|| The foe is razed by a fiery explosion. The user must rest on the next turn, however.
|| The target is razed by a fiery explosion. The user must rest on the next turn, however.
Various Move Tutors will teach Blast Burn to the fully evolved Fire-type starter Pokémon if their friendship rating is maximized:
- In Pokémon FireRed and LeafGreen, an elderly woman on Cape Brink will teach Blast Burn to Charizard only.
- In Diamond, Pearl, and Platinum, an elderly man appears on Route 228 in the Battle Zone, and will teach the move to all four fully evolved Fire-type starter Pokémon.
- In HeartGold and SoulSilver, the Move Tutor for Blast Burn can be found in the Move Deleter/Move relearner's house in Blackthorn City.
- In Black and White, the Move Tutor that can teach Blast Burn appears in a house on Route 13, and will teach it to all five fully evolved Fire-type starter Pokémon.
- In Black 2 and White 2, the Move Tutor that can teach Blast Burn appears outside the Pokémon World Tournament building, and will teach it to all five fully evolved Fire-type starter Pokémon.
Pokémon Mystery Dungeon
In Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Red Rescue Team and Blue Rescue Team, Charizard can learn Blast Burn at level 99 if it has at least 333 IQ points. If this requirement is not met until after reaching level 99, Blast Burn can be relearned at the Gulpin Link Shop.
In Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Time, Darkness, and Sky, Charizard, Typhlosion, Blaziken, and Infernape can learn Blast Burn at level 72 if it has at least 300 IQ points. If this requirement is not met until after level 72, Blast Burn can be relearned at Electivire Link Shop.
In the manga
In the Pokémon Adventures manga
|| Typhlosion and Blaziken
| The user releases a powerful flame from its mouth at the opponent.
|| First Chapter Used In
|| The flame at the end of Charizard's tail grows to a massive size and it releases a powerful and massive stream of fire from its mouth at the opponent.
| Blue's Charizard
|| Legend - Grass and Fire
|| Blaziken releases a powerful and massive stream of fire from its mouth at the opponent, or Blaziken holds out its arms and releases a powerful stream of fire from the fire around its wrists at the opponent.
| Sapphire's Chic
|| The Final Battle III
|| Typhlosion hunches over and releases a powerful stream of fire from the flames on its back at the opponent.
| Gold's Exbo
|| The Final Battle VIII
In other generations
- Mew, though repeatedly said on the Pokédex to be able to learn any move, is not able to learn Blast Burn because the tutors only want to teach it to Fire-type starter Pokémon.
- Blast Burn is the only variation of Hyper Beam that has not yet been featured in the anime.
- Despite being called Blast Burn in numerous languages, it cannot inflict the burn status ailment.
- Despite being called the strongest Fire-type move, V-create has a base power of 180, 30 more than Blast Burn.
- However, Blast Burn was the strongest Fire-type move prior to Generation V, and is still the strongest Fire-type move that is not event-exclusive.
In other languages