From Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia.
The Battle Tower (Japanese: バトルタワー Battle Tower) is Johto's premiere battle facility, located at the northernmost part of Route 40, west of Olivine City. It was introduced in Pokémon Crystal, being separated from the route itself by a gatehouse, and will be reintroduced as a facility in the Battle Frontier in Pokémon HeartGold and SoulSilver. Being the first Battle Tower in the series, it introduced many of the special rules that would later be expanded upon for Battle Towers in Hoenn and Sinnoh, as well as the Battle Frontiers that eventually joined them.
In Generation II
Battle Tower challenges are made by entering three of the player's Pokémon with the attendant at the front desk. The attendant will then guide the player to a special room where they will battle against seven opponents in a row, healing between each battle. After each of the seven Trainers has been defeated, the player will have beaten the streak and be rewarded with five of one of the vitamins.
The Battle Tower has several restrictions aside from the amount of Pokémon which can be entered.
- All Pokémon must be less than or equal to the level of battle challenged. Levels are in intervals of 10.
- No two Pokémon can be holding the same item.
- Items cannot be used by Trainers on their Pokémon.
- Mewtwo, Mew, Lugia, Ho-Oh, and Celebi are only allowed to be entered if the level chosen is 70 or higher. Pokémon eggs are not allowed to enter.
In Generation IV
It is unknown how the Battle Tower will operate in Generation IV, but it will possibly be able to make connections with players of Pokémon Diamond, Pearl, and Platinum for tag battles, and will likely feature a ruleset upgraded to Generation IV standards. It has not been revealed whether or not a Tower Tycoon presides over the Battle Tower this time around.
It seems that, this time around, it will be joined by a Battle Frontier, much like the other two Battle Towers. As Frontier Brains preside over the other venues in Johto's new Battle Frontier, it is likely that a Tower Tycoon of some sort will appear.
- This is the first Battle Tower to have appeared in the games. Later Battle Towers tweaked the rules somewhat, and since Pokémon Emerald have had a person in charge of them like a Gym Leader. The Platinum Battle Tower replaces the Crystal Battle Tower in HeartGold and SoulSilver.
- This is the only Battle Tower that allows all legendary Pokémon, as later generations would ban powerful legendaries like Mewtwo and event legendaries like Mew.
- This is also the only Battle Tower that appears on the same landmass as the rest of the region: later Battle Towers are on islands that can only be accessed by boat, or after having visited, by using Fly.
In other languages