From Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia.
Barry (Japanese: ジュン Jun) is a recurring character in the Pokémon anime whose debut appearance was in Barry's Busting Out All Over!. He is one of Ash's two rivals in Sinnoh.
He was shown to have a very hyperactive personality, much like his game counterpart. Barry admires Paul and his training methods, and wants to be a strong Trainer like him. He also has a slightly similar mentality as Paul's, as in capturing strong Pokémon for training. However, unlike Paul, he still cares for his Pokémon. Barry's starter Pokémon is thought to have been a Piplup which has since evolved into an Empoleon.
Dawn knew Barry back when they both lived in Twinleaf Town; however, Barry doesn't remember her. He only recognizes Ash, Brock, and Dawn due to the fact that they participated in the Sinnoh Double Battle Tournament with Paul. He then challenged Ash to a battle to prove his training methods wrong, but Ash came out the victor.
After Ash defeated him, Barry stayed to watch Ash challenge Fantina in A Shield with a Twist!. At times, Barry was skeptical about Ash's strategy in the battle, but by the end of the fight, he realized that his techniques were excellent. He later stated that he would be his rival if Ash could defeat Byron, whom Barry had previously beaten.
After staying with the group for the following episode, he departed to train at Iron Island, but appeared again in Steeling Peace of Mind! and Saving the World From Ruins! at Iron Island, where after being caught up in Team Galactic's plot to use the island as a radar to scan for Spear Pillar he and Ash put aside most of their differences and became friendly rivals. He also appeared in Stopped in the Name of Love! where he wanted to enter the Pokémon Ping Pong Tournament, which he later loses in To Thine Own Pokémon Be True!. It is also revealed that he is good friends with Dawn's rival, Kenny. He also appeared in Old Rivals, New Tricks! watching Dawn and Kenny participate in the Contest held in Sandalstraw Town.
Barry appeared again in Historical Mystery Tour! where he then decided to have a battle with Ash, which was soon interrupted. He bumps into his father, Palmer at the end of the episode. In Challenging a Towering Figure!, he entered the Battle Tournament as part of the Twinleaf Festival in the hope that he would get to battle Palmer, but soon lost to Ash.
Barry reappeared in Gotta Get a Gible!, where he battled Ash and his newly-caught Gible. Barry won the match, giving him his first victory against Ash.
Barry once again appeared in Fighting Ire with Fire!, along with Paul where he challenged his idol to a battle, but to his dismay, Paul refused. Barry then battled Ash once again, using his Empoleon against Ash's Monferno. However, the battle was put on hold when Team Rocket attacked.
In An Old Family Blend!, Barry showed up for the Lily of the Valley Conference where he was seen in the stadium along with all the other competitors. In League Unleashed!, he passed the preliminary round.
In DP184 he battled his idol Paul in the third round of the Lily of the Valley Conference, and even though he put up a strong battle, utilizing two new Pokémon in his team, Skarmory and Hitmonlee, along with his partner, Empoleon, he ended up falling before the superior strength and tactics of Paul and his team.
|| Hitmonlee ♂
| Barry's Hitmonlee first appeared in DP184, battling against Paul's Ursaring in the Sinnoh League.
Both gave a good fight, where Hitmonlee showed good speed, agility and strength. Ursaring managed to evade some attacks, but when it was hit by Hitmonlee's Blaze Kick, it was burned, and this activated its Guts ability, which increased Ursaring's attack brutally which it used to defeat Hitmonlee with a powerful Slash.
Hitmonlee's known moves are Mega Kick, Close Combat, Hi Jump Kick and Blaze Kick.
This listing is of the badges Barry has obtained:
Barry had three more badges in Gotta Get a Gible! in addition to his first three that was revealed in Barry's Busting Out All Over!, however, which three badges he had is unknown.
- Barry wears his game counterpart's clothes from Diamond and Pearl; however, his Pokétch is modeled after the one that appears in Platinum.
- Barry is the first anime character based on an in-game rival that has had more than a cameo since Gary Oak, whose starter, coincidentally, was also the Water-type choice of his region.
- It is also seen that Brendan, in his cameo appearances, has the final form of the Template:Type2 starter from his region.
- Also, like Gary, his name is taken, in both Japanese and English, from the first-listed default name for his game counterpart in the primary version.
- Their dub names also rhyme with one another.
- Barry and Ash share two of the same Pokémon: Staraptor and Heracross.
- Barry has four of the same Pokémon his game counterpart has at the end of the game, if the player starts with Chimchar. So far, the only ones not yet revealed to be in Barry's possession are Rapidash and Snorlax.
- Dawn once mentioned Barry singing a duet with an Exploud. This is similar to his Pokémon Adventures counterpart.
- Barry shares two of his three unknown badges with Nando's two unknown badges.
- He never lets Team Rocket finish their motto.
- Barry is Ash's only rival that he never battled in the League tournament, as Barry was defeated by another rival beforehand. The record was initially held by Gary (who got eliminated from the Indigo League even before facing Ash), only to be broken when Ash and Gary finally battled each other in the Johto League.
||Possibly from Junichi Masuda.
||阿馴 Ā Xùn
||From the name 馴 Jun. 馴 means to tame/train.