From Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia.
Revision as of 00:22, 3 January 2010
- For this character's game counterpart, see Pearl.
Barry (Japanese: ジュン Jun) is a recurring character in the Pokémon anime whose debut appearance was in Barry's Busting Out All Over!. He is one of Ash's two rivals in Sinnoh.
He was shown to have a very hyperactive personality, much like his game counterpart. Barry admires Paul and his training methods, and wants to be a strong Trainer like him. He also has a slightly similar mentality as Paul's, as in capturing strong Pokémon for training. However, unlike Paul, he still cares for his Pokémon.
Dawn knew Barry back when they both lived in Twinleaf Town; however, Barry doesn't remember her. He only recognizes Ash, Brock, and Dawn due to the fact that they participated in the Sinnoh Double Battle Tournament with Paul. He then challenged Ash to a battle to prove his training methods wrong, but Ash came out the victor.
After Ash defeated him, Barry stayed to watch Ash challenge Fantina in A Shield with a Twist!. At times, Barry was skeptical about Ash's strategy in the battle, but by the end of the fight, he realized that his techniques were excellent. He later stated that he would be his rival if Ash could defeat Byron, whom Barry had previously beaten.
After staying with the group for the following episode
, he departed to train at Iron Island
, but appeared again in Steeling Peace of Mind!
and Saving the World From Ruins!
at Iron Island
, where after being caught up in Team Galactic
's plot to use the island as a radar to scan for Spear Pillar
he and Ash put aside most of their differences and became friendly rivals. He also appeared in Stopped in the Name of Love!
where he wanted to enter the Pokémon Ping Pong Tournament
, which he later loses in To Thine Own Pokémon Be True!
It is also revealed that he is good friends with Dawn's rival, Kenny
. He also appeared in Old Rivals, New Tricks!
watching Dawn and Kenny participate in the Contest
held in Sandalstraw Town
Barry appeared again in Historical Mystery Tour! where he then decided to have a battle with Ash, which was soon interrupted. He bumps into his father, Palmer at the end of the episode. In Challenging a Towering Figure!, he entered the Battle Tournament as part of the Twinleaf Festival in the hope that he would get to battle Palmer, but soon lost to Ash.
Barry reappeared in DP157, where he battled Ash and his newly-caught Gible. Barry won the match, giving him his first victory against Ash.
This listing is of the badges Barry has obtained:
- Barry wears his game counterpart's clothes from Diamond and Pearl; however, his Pokétch is modeled after the one that appears in Platinum.
- Barry is the first anime character based on an in-game rival that has had more than a cameo since Gary Oak, whose starter, coincidentally, was also the Water-type choice of his region.
- It is also seen that Brendan, in his cameo appearances, has the final form of the Template:Type2 starter from his region.
- Also, like Gary, his name is taken, in both Japanese and English, from the first-listed default name for his game counterpart in the primary version.
- Their dub names also rhyme with one another.
- Barry and Ash share two of the same Pokémon: Staraptor and Heracross.
- So far, Barry's team is made up of the same Pokémon his game counterpart has at the end of the game if the player has started with Chimchar. So far, the only ones not yet revealed to be in Barry's possession are Rapidash and Snorlax (though Pearl does not obtain his Munchlax until after the player meets him in Canalave City, and does not evolve it until the league).
- Dawn once mentioned Barry singing a duet with an Exploud. This is similar to his manga counterpart.