From Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia.
- If you were looking for the Arcanine belonging to Crystal from Pokémon Adventures, see Archy.
Archie (Japanese: アオギリ Aogiri) is the head of Team Aqua.
In the games
In Pokémon Ruby Archie helps the player against Team Magma. He doesn't have an active role in the storyline and can't be battled.
In Pokémon Sapphire he first appears in the Oceanic Museum in Slateport City, trying to steal the Devon Goods from Captain Stern. Later, Team Aqua members steal a Meteorite from Professor Cozmo and try to turn Mt. Chimney into a lake. Then, after Shelly raids the Weather Institute, Archie steals the Red Orb from Mt. Pyre. Later, he and the Team Aqua members turn up in Slateport again as Captain Stern announces a discovery he has made about a seafloor cavern. Team Aqua promptly steals the Submarine Explorer 1 that Captain Stern has built and goes for the Seafloor Cavern to awaken Kyogre.
In Pokémon Emerald, he also appears in the Oceanic Museum in Slateport City as the player delivers the Devon Goods to Captain Stern, just like in Sapphire.
Then Archie tries to stop Team Magma at Meteor Falls and Mt. Chimney. Later in the game, he steals again both the Red Orb and the Submarine Explorer 1 and awakens Kyogre another time.
In the games he appears in, Archie battles with the following Pokémon:
Additionally, when fighting three Team Magma Grunts at Mt. Chimney, Archie is seen with a seemingly hyperactive Poochyena. It is unknown if this Poochyena is related to Archie's Mightyena.
|| This section is incomplete.|
Please feel free to edit this section to add missing information and complete it.
- "Hold it right there, Team Magma! We, Team Aqua, won't allow you to get away with your misdeeds!"
- "Who might you be? ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... Ah, so you are <player>. I am Archie. As the head of Team Aqua, I have dedicated myself to thwarting the dangerous plans of Team Magma. Why? Because Team Magma is a grave threat to us all. They have committed many destructive acts in their bid to expand the land. We, Team Aqua, love the sea above all! Team Magma is our sworn enemy!"
- "Yes, yes, we must! We've got to hurry. There's no telling what Team Magma will do at Mt. Chimney!"
- "<Player>, you should keep an eye out for Team Magma, too. Farewell!"
- "I came to see what was taking so long to snatch some parts, and you simps are held up by a mere child?''
- "I am Team Aqua's Archie. Tell me, why do you meddle in the noble affairs of Team Aqua? Pokémon, people, all life depends on the sea. So, Team Aqua is dedicated to the expansion of the sea. Don't you agree? What we are doing is a magnificent undertaking. Ah, fine... You're still too young. It can't be helped that you do not understand our ideals. But, if you ever oppose us again, there will be consequences! Heed my warning! Farewell!"
- "The power contained in the Meteorite.. By amplifying its power with this machine, Mt. Chimney's volcanic activity will stop. Fufufu... eventually the cooled-down crater will fill with rainwater, giving Water Pokémon a place to live."
- You again... Now listen. All live depends on the sea. The sea is everything! Its importance is paramount! That's why we of Team Aqua are committed to expanding the sea. Doing so will result in the emergence of new Pokémon species. We will return the world back to nature for the good of Pokémon. That is Team Aqua's vision! I can't allow an ignorant child like you to get in our way. I, Archie, will show you the consequences of meddling!"
- "What?! I, Archie, was caught off guard?"
- "Ah, whatever. I will give up our plans for Mt. Chimney for the time being... But no one can ever stop us! Team Aqua will prevail! Don't you ever forget that!"
- "Not you again... You've impeded our plans repeatedly, but this time you're too late. The Red Orb that rested atop Mt. Pyre... I, Archie, claim it as mine! Fufufu... Finally, I can realize my grand design... Come on, crew! It's Slateport next!"
- "Fufufu... Capt. Stern I presume. We of Team Aqua will assume control of your submarine! Your objections are meaningless! We expect your total cooperation! Fufufu... Just watch and learn what Team Aqua has planned!"
- "Fwahahaha! I commiserate with you! All that effort you spent following me here all the way from Mt. Pyre. But now... No one can stop us! No one! Or, will you follow us back to our hideout in Lilycove City? Fwahahahaha...
- "Hold it right there."
- "Fufufu. So it was you, after all."
- "Behold! See how beautiful it is, the sleeping form of the ancient Pokémon Kyogre. I have waited so long for this day to come..."
- "It surprises me how you've managed to chase me here. But that's all over now. For the realization of my dream, you must disappear now!"
- "I... I lost again?''
- "Fufufu... I commend you. I must recognize that you are truly gifted. But! I have this is in my possession! With this Red Orb, I can make Kyogre..."
- "What?! I didn't do anything. Why did the Red Orb... Where did Kyogre go?"
- "Hm? It's a message from our members outside..."
- "Yes? What is it? Hm... It's raining heavily. Good... That should of happened. That is why we awakened Kyogre, to realize Team Aqua's vision of expanding the sea. What?! It's raining far harder than we envisioned? You're in danger? That can't be... That's just not possible... Hold your position and monitor the situation!"
- "There's something wrong... The Red Orb was supposed to awaken and control Kyogre... But... Why? Why did Kyogre disappear? Why?!"
- "What are you saying? The Red Orb should let me control Kyogre... That can't be possible..."
- "What happened... What is this wretched scene... Did I... make a horrible mistake? I... I only wanted..."
In the anime
Archie appeared in Gaining Groudon and The Scuffle of Legends.
During the events, he becomes possessed by the power of the Red Orb, much like Pikachu and the Blue Orb. His only concern from that point is to raise the sea, even if it meant drowning all of his Team Aqua members.
However he lost control of the orb eventually and he no longer became possessed by it. His fate after this is unknown.
| Kyogre was first seen in the containment chamber of Team Magma's ship. Aqua Admin Shelly sets it free by increasing the humidity levels in the chamber so it could revive itself. She successfully does so causing Kyogre to break free from the ship. It is seen with Team Aqua afterwards. In its next appearance, Kyogre is seen fighting with Groudon in which it was able to knock it out, thus causing the orbs in Archie and Pikachu to separate. Kyogre was able to rescue Ash and Pikachu after the battle was done. In the end, it returns to its hidden location at the bottom of the sea.
Kyogre's known moves are Hyper Beam and Hydro Pump, and its ability is Drizzle.
|| Gaining Groudon
| Groudon was first seen being trapped inside Team Aqua's submarine, where from it was released by Ash's Pikachu. It went into battle with Kyogre. After a long fight, Groudon was able to defeat Kyogre. At the end of the episode, Groudon returned back to the volcano where it originally came from.
Groudon's known moves are SolarBeam, Fissure and Mud Shot, and its ability is Drought.
|| Gaining Groudon
In the Pokémon Adventures manga
Archie as Guile Hideout in the Emerald
Archie is one of the devious villains of Hoenn. His identity is a secret, and he works as the head of Hoenn TV, which made him the boss of Gabby & Ty. Using his position as the master of the region's media, Archie was able to cover up Team Aqua's actions and air anti-Team Magma propaganda.
He ensures that Team Aqua's missions are carried out in top secret, and eliminates any evidence of their attacks. The only major feat they have accomplished is stealing the prototype engine for the Submarine Explorer 1; however, this was the only thing really essential to their plans. When Maxie obtained the Blue Orb, Amber's Volbeat stole it from them and gave it to him.
After Rayquaza interrupted the battle between Groudon and Kyogre, Archie and Maxie went insane and attempted to destroy those who interfered with their plans. Archie used his Tentacruel to pull Courtney into the Cave Of Origin, suffocate Ruby and hold Winona hostage when Wallace tried to save Ruby. Archie stomped on Ruby's Feebas, Mimi, and mocked it for being weak and ugly. However, Ruby then shows he had a change of heart from when he thought the same about his Feebas' looks, but then realizes that it possesses inner beauty, and that will remain so regardless of whether its body withers away or not. Then, he pridefully attaches the Hyper Rank Beauty Contest Ribbon that Wallace kept for him since he drove Mimi away, and it then evolves into Milotic, the Pokémon he sought after. His new Milotic is then able to team up with the rest of Ruby and Sapphire's Pokémon to defeat the two evil leader's Pokémon, forcing them to escape on Wallace's air car, but they are thwarted by Ruby's Plusle and Sapphire's Minun.
In recent chapters of the Emerald chapter, he was under an alias known as Guile Hideout.
The following are Archie's Pokémon in the Pokémon Adventures manga:
|| Surskit → Masquerain ♂
| Archie's Masquerain first appeared as a Surskit during the Emerald chapter in which it was mostly used by him. This is shown as it was used in many later battles. Around the end, Surskit evolved into Masquerain During the final battle against the main characters and it went up against Gold's Polibo. After Archie disappeared, Masquerain did so as well.
Masquerain's only known move is Psybeam.
|| VS. Dusclops
At Team Aqua's HQ
In the TCG
Archie appears in EX Team Magma vs Team Aqua set.
- He is the only character in the games to have the Trainer class Aqua Leader (Japanese: アクアだんリーダー Team Aqua Leader).
- Despite being the leader of Team Aqua, an organization with water-centric goals, none of his Pokémon in the games can learn a single Template:Type2 move through level-up in Generation III.
- In fact, only one of his three Pokémon, Sharpedo, is a Water-type itself.
- Some of Archie's lines in Pokémon Sapphire are the same as Maxie's lines in Pokémon Ruby.
- Archie's plans in the Emerald chapter of Pokémon Adventures are very similar to the plans of Butler in Jirachi: Wish Maker.
- Pokémon Sapphire contains some unused trainer data for Archie. According to the data, he has a level 17 Togetic, with no other Pokémon present in his team. He is also carrying two Super Potions. This information may indicate that Archie was originally planned to be encountered earlier in the game, and with a drastically different sort of team.
|| アオギリ Aogiri
|| 梧桐 Aogiri, Chinese parasol tree. Contains 青 ao (blue).
|| 아강 Agang
| Chinese (Mandarin)
|| 水梧桐 Shuǐwútóng
|| From 水 (water) and 梧桐 (Chinese parasol tree).