From Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia.
Note to contributors: there are editing instructions at the top of the article when you open the whole article for editing, please read them.
Pokémon in the Generation III games received Abilities among other new concepts in the change from the days of Pokémon Gold, Silver and Pokémon Crystal to the more modern games. Abilities serve to give Pokémon a trait that would assist them in battle such as Rough Skin on Sharpedo which allows the foe to take damage on direct contact.
Interestingly enough, Abilities are very similar to Pokémon Powers from the Trading Card Game.
Abilities are enumerated as follows in the game:
Each unique ability's page listed above contains a list of Pokémon that learn that ability. For those lists:
- Pokémon listed under 'Single ability' can only have that ability eg. Squirtle can only have Torrent.
- Pokémon listed under 'Dual ability' can have that ability or another eg. Chansey can have either the ability Natural Cure or the ability Serene Grace.
Pokémon can only have one ability - Pokémon that are under a dual ability listing have a 50-50 chance of having either of their two abilities when caught of hatched by a trainer.
- Prevents Pokémon from being affected by weather during battle.
- Prevents foe from switching Pokémon or escaping; not effective against Flying-type Pokémon and Pokémon with Levitate.
- Helps Pokémon avoid critical hits.
- Multiplies power of Pokémon's Fire-type attacks by 1.5 when its HP falls below 1/3 its maximum.
- See: Soundproof
- Doubles a Pokémon's speed when sunlight is strong.
- Prevents an opponent's move from lowering your Pokémon's stats.
- Prevents weather influence on all Pokémon in battle.
- Changes Pokémon's type to match type of a move that hits it.
- Increases accuracy by 30%.
- Attracts opponent Pokémon 30% of the time when opponent strikes Pokémon.
- Prevents all Pokémon in battle from using Selfdestruct and Explosion.
- Changes weather to rain in battle.
- Changes weather to strong sunlight in battle.
- Causes Pokémon to wake earlier from sleep condition.
- Afflicts opponent Pokémon with a poison, paralyze or sleep condition 10% of the time when it attacks Pokémon directly.
- Afflicts opponent Pokémon with a burn condition 30% of the time when it attacks Pokémon directly. In Pokémon Emerald, Pokémon with this ability help eggs hatch faster outside of battle if they are in the party.
- Prevents damage from Fire-type attacks and increases power of Pokémon's Fire-type attacks.
- Changes Pokémon to a form and type that's connected to weather; during strong sunglight, it changes said Pokémon to Fire-type, in rain to the Water-type, and in hail to the Ice-type.
- Multiplies power of Pokémon's attacks by 1.5 when it has a Status Condition.
- Increases power of Pokémon's attacks, but the effect is reduced by half when its ability is challenged.(eg. Skill Swap)
- Multiplies power of Pokémon's attacks by 1.5, but its accuracy is reduced to 80%.
- Prevents effects that reduce the Pokémon's attack power.
- Increases chances of meeting wild Pokémon when the Pokémon is in the lead team position.
- Prevents Pokémon from getting the poison condition.
- Prevents Pokémon from flinching.
- Prevents Pokémon from falling asleep.
- Reduces opponent Pokémon's attack power.
- Protects Pokémon from accuracy reduction.
- Prevents Pokémon from getting struck by Ground-type attacks.
- Draws Electric-type attacks away from partner to Pokémon when in a two-on-two battle.
- Protects Pokémon from being paralyzed.
- Causes damage when opponent Pokémon absorbs its HP.
- Prevents Pokémon from getting a frozen condition.
- Prevents Steel-type opponents from escaping.
- Multiples defense by 1.5 when it has a status condition.
- Multiplies special attack by 1.5 when positively charged Pokémon is also in battle.
- Cures a Pokémon's status condition when the Pokémon is withdrawn from battle.
- Prevents Pokémon from becoming attracted.
- Multiplies power of Grass-type attacks by 1.5 when its HP falls below 1/3 its maximum.
- Prevents Pokémon from getting confused.
- Picks up items from opponent Pokémon in battle.
- Multiples special attack power by 1.5 when negatively charged Pokémon is in battle.
- Afflicts opponent with a poison condition 30% of the time when it attacks Pokémon directly.
- Reduces Pokémon's PP by two every time it attacks.
- Increases power of Pokémon's attacks, but the effect is reduced by half when the ability is changed.(e.g., Skill Swap)
- Recovers 1/16 of total HP every turn when it's raining during battle.
- Prevents incurring recoil damage when Pokémon uses an attack like Submission, Take Down or Double-Edge.
- Causes opponent's HP to decrease when opponent attacks Pokémon physically, or directly.
- Allows Pokémon to escape from wild Pokémon.
- Summons a sandstorm during battle.
- Allows Pokémon to evade moves more easily during sandstorms.
- When Pokémon is in battle, attacks with extra effects have two times the chance of happening.
- Prevents foe from changing Pokémon or escaping.
- Gives Pokémon a 30% chance of curing its status condition every turn.
- Prevents Pokémon from receiving critical hits.
- Shields Pokémon from the additional effects from moves.
- Protects Pokémon from sound based attacks such as: Grasswhistle, Growl, Heal Bell, Hyper Voice, Metal Sound, Perish Song, Roar, Screech, Sing, Snore, Supersonic and Uproar.
- Increases Pokémon's speed every turn.
- Afflicts opponent Pokémon with a paralyze condition 30% of the time when it attacks Pokémon directly.
- Decreases chances of meeting wild Pokémon when the Pokémon is in the lead team position.
- Prevents opponent Pokémon from stealing an item.
- Shields Pokémon from attacks that knock out the Pokémon in one hit.
- Prevents Pokémon from swapping out when the opponent Pokémon uses Whirlwind or Roar.
- Multiplies power of Bug-type attacks by 1.5 when its HP falls below 1/3 its maximum.
- Doubles the Pokémon's speed when it is raining in battle.
- Causes opponent Pokémon that inflicts a poison, paralysis or burn condition to receive the same condition. However, Synchronize cannot inflict poison on a Poison or Steel Pokémon, or burn on a Fire Pokémon.
- Reduces damage by half when Pokémon is attacked by Fire-type or Ice-type attacks.
- Multiplies power of Water-type attacks by 1.5 when its HP falls below 1/3 its maximum.
- Duplicates ability that opponent Pokémon has.
- Causes Pokémon to make its move only every other turn.
- Prevents Pokémon from falling asleep.
- Restores Pokémon's HP when Pokémon is attacked by Electric-type attacks.
- Restores Pokémon's HP when Pokémon is attacked by Water-type attacks.
- Prevents Pokémon from getting a burn condition.
- Prevents opponent's moves from reducing Pokémon's stats.
- Prevents all damage except from "super-effective" hits.