From Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia.
| A Double Dilemma
Papa is Idol? False Gym Leader!
|| March 18, 2004
| United States
|| March 5, 2005
A Double Dilemma (Japanese: パパはアイドル!?いつわりのジムリーダー!! Papa is Idol? False Gym Leader!) is the 68th episode of the Advanced Generation series, and the 342nd episode of the Pokémon anime. It was first broadcast in Japan on March 18, 2004 and in the United States on March 5, 2005.
The gang have arrived in North Petalburg, a suburb of the main city, and are amazed when they discover that Norman is an idol to everyone who lives there, and May and Max are soon mobbed by Norman fans. While May delightfully shows off her Beautifly and Skitty, Ash also runs into fans of Norman who, after hearing that Ash is planning to challenge the Gym Leader, keep challenging Ash to battle after battle, which exhausts most of his Pokémon and when the crown encourage May to battle him, it leads to a showdown between Ash’s Taillow and May’s Torchic. Meanwhile, after hearing of Norman’s popularity Jesse, James, Meowth and Wobbuffet decide to dress up as Norman, Caroline, May and Max in order to sell autographs and get away with the money…
North Petalburg's Pokémon seen:
- The character of Dee Dunstan is believed to be named after voice director/actor Darren Dunstan.
- The Italian dub title is a pun on the phrase Vera figlia d'arte, similar to the saying Like father like son in English. As May is called Vera in Italian, this title can mean The true daughter who followed in her father's footstep or May followed in her father's footsteps
- Dee Dunstan calling Ash a novice might be a reference to Challenge of the Samurai.
Pokémon Trainer's Choice
- Question: Trainers, which one of these Pokémon is the best choice to battle Corphish?
- Choices: Minun, Marowak, Nincada
- Answer: Ok, Trainers! If you chose Minun, you were right!
When Ash's badge case is seen in the original, there is a Poké Ball design on it. In the dub, that was painted over to be just a horizontal line.
In other languages
- Finnish: Kaksoisolennot
- French: L'imposture
- German: Norman-Mania
- Italian: Vera figlia d'arte
- Latin American Spanish: ¡Un dilema doble!
- Portuguese: Duplo Dilema
- Iberian Spanish: Un problema de dobles